As if the Holidays weren’t enough of a nightmare, I had to go and read the news. I don’t know what I was thinking, call it a fatal lack of judgment, or maybe just plain stupidity on my part. I never planned my blogosphere to be a report on current events. But now, I still cannot believe the words that jumped off the screen and embedded themselves into my eye balls. It’s like some bad SciFi movie where we all die at the end.
AP reports that Scientist have created, what many call the most “dangerous virus” ever, by genetically altering Bird Flu. Avian influenza (H5N1) was altered and laboratory bred so that it could spread easily among (Humans) mammals. Scientist “wanted to see what was possible” and by altering the virus’ ability to spread they would better understand and be able to monitor the virus IF it ever mutated to that extent on its own. Present knowledge of the non-altered virus shows that 60% of infected Humans die. Death estimates from the new form of the easier spread virus puts that closer to 70-75% rate of death.
Is it just me or is this INSANITY? Haven’t these Scientist ever seen “12 Monkeys” or any of the "Resident Evil" movies or games, heard anything about the 1918 “Spanish”(H1N1) influenza pandemic, or even read any Zombie literature of today. Didn’t their parents ever tell them that just because you Can do something, doesn’t mean you Should do it? And the US Government funded this in the millions of dollars. Ya think that maybe they could of taken all that money and, I don’t know, maybe coded computer models that could simulate the mutation, instead of actually creating the virus? The 1918 pandemic was one of the deadliest natural human disasters in history. Low estimates put it at 27% of the world’s population was infected with an estimation of 10-20% infected dying. This means that at that time, approximately 6% of the entire global population died. So let’s “MAKE” something 3-4 times deadlier.
I quit.
p.s. If you don't want to do the math, and be conservative and on the low end, stick with the 27% infection rate, and use 60% infection death rate.....appoximately 2 out of every 10 people would die. How many people do you know?
No comments:
Post a Comment